The image shows scaffolding covering Stage 6, along with excavators working on the new forecourt for the building.
A year later on the 31st March 2013, Television Centre (As it is now formally known) closed it's doors for the final time, to be redeveloped into housing, offices, restaurants, cafés and shops, along with a new branch of the private members club; Soho House.
Up until February 2015, Stanhope PLC along with the BBC under the joint venture 'Television Centre Developments' worked to clear the building of broadcasting equipment, at a cost of over £60 million. Once completed, demolition began.
Television Centre was originally built with 8 studios; as part of a 15 year lease to the BBC, only 3 studios will remain post-demolition, “Three of Television Centre's historic studios are being refurbished for the digital TV age and will be operated by BBC Studios & Post Production, a commercial arm of the corporation” Source: http://televisioncentre.com/
At the time of our visit, BBC worldwide, the BBC's commercial subsidiary, had moved in to their new home in the old BBC news centre. Pictured below.
The former home of BBC News (which moved to BBC Broadcasting house in March 2013) is now home to BBC Worldwide.
The BBC originally planned to move back to Television Centre in march of last year (2015), then the BBC announced that they will not be recommencing production in studios 1,2 and 3 until 2017, when most of the groundwork and demolition is complete. The redevelopment of Television centre follows with a multi-million pound regeneration within white city, with expansions to Westfield shopping centre, 5,000 new homes and new underground and overground stations within the area.
The plans for television centre include:
- 950 new homes in the form of apartments and penthouses, within the listed circular building (more commonly known as the 'Doughnut'), a new tower, and other various locations around the site.
- A 47-bedroom hotel at the front of the building, operated by Soho House
- A mixture of independent cafés and restaurants
- 500,000 sq ft of grade A offices, (with BBC Worldwide already in tenancy as of March 2015)
- Finally, as before mentioned, 3 refurbished television studios operated by BBC Studios & Post Production
We hope to revisit Television centre in the coming months, and update on the redevelopment of this world famous building.
Television Centre pictured in April 2015